North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA) Qualification Assistance
Duty is eliminated when imported goods are qualified under the North American Free Trade Agreement (NAFTA).
A properly completed NAFTA Certificate must be on file when your goods are accounted for with CBSA. A NAFTA Certificate of Origin is valid for one year, but needs to be kept up-to-date with any new parts that are shipped as cargo or freight into Canada over the same period.
Minimize your risk under Canada's new Administrative Monetary Penalty System (AMPS); significant fines (ranging up to $5000 per instance) can be assessed for using an incorrect tariff treatment or for the failure to have a valid certificate on hand at the time of import. The Near North team can:
- Complete yearly requests of your North American suppliers for NAFTA Certificates of Origin for the products and parts they provide your company.
- Create customized supplier databases that cross-reference the imported products and parts by Part Number, HS Classification and origin.
- Help to qualify your goods or new products for NAFTA, or other preference criteria-based trade agreements (i.e. CIFTA to reduce or eliminate your duties).
- Review that your NAFTA qualifications are correct, eliminating the significant risk of paying back duties with interest or financial penalties in case of a Customs audit.
- Provide customized in-house training on NAFTA and its requirements.